Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Baghdad In Images

Photobucket

This was one of only two times I saw Americans in Baghdad. A convoy passes through Abu Nawas street. I was taking photographs of a sculpture of Shahrayar and Abu Nawas at the park as they sped past. The police officer warned me not to photograph them.

The second time was at the airport. A plane full of KBR employees (probably from the embassy) heading to DUBAI. The only time I was at an airport and the line-up for "foreigners" was longer than that of "locals". I mean LONG.

Photobucket

An Iraqi humvee at an Iraqi-controlled checkpoint. The soldier told me not to take photos despite the fact that there was no sign reading "NO PHOTO". The blast walls are painted with images of Ancient Sumerian Gods and Goddesses.
They protect the French Cultural Centre of Baghdad.

Checkpoints in Baghdad are useless. They pass a metal and explosives detector by your car every couple of blocks. Some of their detectors don't even work. If they catch a signal, you can get off with simply saying you have a metal filling in your tooth and a bottle of perfume.

Then we ask ourselves how these car bombs go off in a city that is littered with checkpoints.

Photobucket

Remains of a car bomb left as a souvenir.


Photobucket

I was re-aquianted with Haifa Street as I was forced to walk through it alone to get to the Ministry of Culture. The roads were closed due to tightening of security after the Ministry of Justice was bombed in October. It is (was) right up the street.

Photobucket
(This is Not Haifa Street- January 2009. By me)

He wasn't there to protect me. But I made it through just fine.

Photobucket

The Ministry of Justice, in case we forgot what a double car bomb looked like.
A daycare centre on the bottom level exists no more.



Photobucket

The "Rusafa" electricity control centre.
I bet their employees work 2 hours a day, just like the electricity in Baghdad.

Photobucket

Goodbye Baghdad.

I hope to meet you again one day where the streets don't need armed men to protect them from other armed men.



(BONUS PHOTO!)

Photobucket

2Pac is alive! He's in Baghdad chilling with Jesus, Avril Lavigne and Beyonce!

No comments: